Professor Gerard LedwichChair in Power Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Faculty of Science and Engineering
Queensland University of Technology
Prof Ledwich has been at QUT since 1999 and is currently Discipline leader for Power Engineering as well as Theme Leader in the Institute for Future Environments. The Power Engineering Discipline covers the fields of power system with studies in risk managed distribution planning, wide area controls for transmission and in demand management and this is a strong focus for Prof Ledwich’s research.
The power electronics area of his research covers the control of microgrids, power hardware in the loop. The other aspect of his power engineering research is in the equipment area where there is research on the on-line condition monitoring of oil-paper insulation. The power engineering group led by Prof Ledwich is a leading winner of ARC funds nationally and has established good relations with many industries nationally and other universities worldwide.
4:25 PM Planning for an New Grid Future: Ensuring Energy Security with the Trend towards Democratisation of Energy Consumption
- The effect of users, both large energy users and homes moving of the grid by embracing independent generation and renewables
- The impact on cost per unit
- Will the grid still be relevant and how does it need to evolve
- Peer-to-peer and Peer-to-grid
- Collaborating with users to optimize energy security