Pre-Conference Workshops: Monday, 21 August, 2017
9:00 am - 11:00 am Using On-Grid Storage to Better Integrate Renewables and Build Resilience
The biggest caveat to integrating renewables into the grid is the fact that they are depend on the weather and dictated by conditions presented by the local environment. Batteries present a key opportunity to overcome the instability of networks by offering energy storage. However integrating batteries into the grid present a whole new set of challenges with inertia, voltage differences and minimizing losses.
- Understanding the role of batteries to support renewables integration
- Exploring Strategies to maximize the storage potential of batteries
- Investigating how to integrate batteries into the existing grid and reducing the effect of inertia and difference in voltage
- Sharing and evaluating case studies on different methods of on grid storage, including lithium ion, molten silica and other
11:30 am - 1:30 pm Exploring Solar PVs as an Alternate Renewables Source for Power Generation
Solar PVs have a lot of potential as an alternate source for power generation. However they are plagued by one major problem, the weather, specifically clouds. No clouds, no power.
Generators are looking at strategies to overcome these potential lapses such as tapping into the grid and the use of batteries.
This session will address this in detail:
- Solar PV – cost effectiveness and impact of integration to the network
- Addressing the weather challenge
- The use of batteries as a backup
- Integrating batteries into the network
- Exploring other alternatives to securing the solar PV network
- Is it scalable?